Friday, November 16, 2012

A post about posts...trippy

October was a busy month for BugsIRL! Four posts, hundreds of visitors (averaging about 60/week), and new visitor-countries added to my map-app (which I'm inexplicably nuts-o about and hope to have some version of this visible to the public at some future time).

The bug-finding season is winding down here in the mid-Atlantic. There will almost definitely be some hold-outs in basements, potted plants and around poorly insulated spots on siding or doors, among other places (a valuable skill that most bugs would put on their tiny resumes: surviving).

As my own larva gestates and continues crowding out my wife's organs and digestive gutty-works, I plan to spend more time prepping for his arrival (and subsequent pupal stage...or would he be more of a pupa right now?) and having less time to write the long (Mother Jones magazine called them "Epic!") posts you've gotten used to. Although I'll continue updating the site with some regularity, the frequency will likely decrease below weekly and the posts will likely become shorter - or perhaps the posting frequency has already fallen below weekly (I've got a month to play through Halo 4 (which is beautiful, BTW), then it's dipe's & wipes, drool & stool, meconium & pandemonium). In addition, I hope to spend some time cleaning up the blog's non-bug bugs (e.g., pictures spilling outside the reading area, links that aren't, buttons that don't always work).

Also, I need to do something about my photo gallery. I've run out of space and am not sure I want to upgrade to the paid-version of Flickr...Does anyone have a suggestion for another place to place these? Anyone have thoughts on Pintrest (did I even spell that right?)? I have pictures of enough bugs to last through some time next summer, assuming weekly posts.

So since this is not a very bug-ful post, here are some teasers for future posts: a literary collaboration between the Black Widow and Steve Harvey, the mediocre music and flight skills of John Denver and Cicadas, the Leaf Hopper that auditioned to be on Flava-Flav's "Flava of Love", and (breaking from the site's usual taxonomic focus) the acrobatic affairs and trapeze trysts of Leopard Slugs. I also have ID requests to post on a big, country spider and a fancily adorned assassin bug.

Thanks for reading and keep visiting for more buggy action!

No comments:

Post a Comment