Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Welcome, International Viewers!

This is a two-pronged (but bug-less) post. First, I'd like to announce my new photo gallery! All the pics you've come to love at BugsIRL, as well as many, many (many) more are available for your viewing enjoyment at Flickr: BugsIRL's Photostream

So Blogger lets me look at site traffic based on the country it comes from. This is a really neat tool (if you're a map nerd like me), but I'm not sure how reliable it is. Regardless, it's my pleasure to extend a warm welcome to any visitors viewing from outside the US! I hope that you enjoy the site. I also hope that you're not too critical of mistakes in the following greetings, which I've attempted to express in your respective languages.

Как дела, Россия?
How do you do, UK?
Wie gehts, Deutchland?
Apa khabar, Malaysia?
Como estamos, Brasil?
Wingo boing-aloo, Australia?

Ha! I'm sorry Australia - I tease you because I like you. We all know you say weird stuff, but it's OK - it's part of your charm. It looks good on you!

The ordering of these greetings is based on the number of times my blog has been "viewed" from each country. I put quotations around viewed because I have serious questions about why Russians (actual, human Russians rather than web crawling e-bots) would be so enamoured with my lil'-old bug blog. Is this the best website that Putin will let you visit? Maybe they cracked down on meteorological strip teases...Or maybe my razon-sharp wit is just a welcome distraction from Pussy Riot's hooliganism.

If you're visiting this site from outside the US (or from inside the US), please use the comments to tell me about yourself and what brought you to BugsIRL...Maybe I could do a post about why cicadas are like Anna Karenina - I don't know, I'll think of something.

I also want to give special thanks to omniglot.com for the help with a few of these greetings. But especially for this useful Russian phrase:
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
Highlight the hidden text below for the English translation...
My hovercraft is full of eels

Stay tuned - another (bug-full) post will be up shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment