Friday, August 10, 2012

The Origin Story...

What causes a man to write a blog?

What twisted sequence of events leads to posting e-diaries among the seedy inter-webs?

These questions are constantly on all of our minds...gnawing at us. For me, it started as a series of benign emails among friends. At first, they were simple pictures and a few laughs - no big deal. But my emails to these supposed friends kept getting longer and more involved. The pictures began taking on a life of their own - their numbers spinning out of control. Then came the videos.

From that point, it wasn't long until my wife stepped in. <sound of thunder crashing!> She planted the seed. The seed that grew into...I don't know...one of those upside down trees, or something! Also, it's a gnarly, unattractive mess. Sure, it would be easy enough to trim and prune. But who wants to give up a whole Saturday on that? Anyway, this ugly tree...or maybe it should be a maple. One of those sugar maples with all the whirlie-doodle seed pods. Did you ever take a pair of those and make them into a mustache, as a kid?

Anyway, this delightful sugar maple grew into an idea (the most dangerous plant of them all)! An idea to write a blog about bugs <queue shocking music...you know, like the sound an orchestra makes when it's surprised>! Also, that's what those emails were about.

So, the way this works is that I'll be posting about bugs that I happen upon in my real life (hence the "IRL" in the blog's title). I'll take pictures, if I'm able, and I'll identify them and profile them to the best of my ability. Regarding my ability, I am not a bug professional. Although I am a professional scientician, I've never formally studied bugs or biology. I would describe myself as an entomological/arachnological amateur-expert. I'll typically do some research when profiling a bug, but these posts won't be peer reviewed and they should only be considered to be as authoritative as you're willing trust some rando with a blog. I typically won't cite my sources, but anyone is welcome to inquire by email or in the comments as to where I got some info - don't be disappointed though, if I tell you that a datum just came from the vast compendium of bug knowledge I've amassed over the years (though that answer will probably sound less arrogant in practice).

Additionally, if you have a bug you'd like me to identify or you have questions about, email me an ask at whodatbug@gmail.com. Please send me your pics and some background: where it was, when it was, what it was (doing), etc. I'll endeavor to get back to you ASAP, and I may even use it as part of a future post!

XOXO,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment